Our second annual flash collection competition is now open to submissions. Please read the guidelines before submitting your work.
What and how to submit
- This call for submissions is only open to authors who have not had a collection/novel/novella published previously, or one forthcoming. Having a single piece within a multi-authored anthology or collection does not exclude you.
- Only submit one collection per author.
- Simultaneous submissions are fine but please let us know as soon as possible if your collection is accepted elsewhere.
- All collections must be free of author information to allow them to be judged anonymously.
- Submissions are open between: 1st Mar – 31st Mar 2020.
- Long list announced: Apr 2020 (TBC).
- Short list announced: Early May 2020 (TBC).
- Winner announced: Late May 2020 (TBC).
- Publication released: Late Jun 2020 (TBC).
- The winning collection will be chosen from the shortlist compiled by guest judge Sophie van Llewyn, author of ‘Bottled Goods’.
- View the results page of our 2019 competition, here.
- All collections must include at least 50% content that is unpublished online or in print, this also includes self-published pieces.
- No racism, sexism, homophobia or religious hatred.
- Email all submissions to: EllipsisZineSubs@gmail.com and format the subject line of your email with FC (Flash Collection) and the title of your work. For example: FC – My Collection Title.
- Your covering email MUST include the following: Your name, the title of the collection, the total word count and the theme of your collection if it is a chapbook, or a single line synopsis if you are submitting a Novella-in-Flash.
- Attach your collection to the email as a .doc or .docx file.
- Add the title of the collection to the footer of each page. Do not include any personal information to this document.
- Include a title page and add your theme/synopsis to this page. For example: Three Sisters of Stone – Follow three sisters over three decades as they manage adversity in very different ways, culminating in loss, growth and self-knowledge.
- Please format your document with a 12pt, double-spaced font, preferably Times New Roman or Arial.
- The total word count should not exceed 17,000, including the title.
- The minimum word count should be no less than 8,000.
- Each individual piece should be no longer than 1,000 words.
- Please include a contents page with the names of each flash and the individual word count. Where pieces have been previously published please indicate this on the contents page and ensure that you have permissions to re-publish them.
- We may ask for, or suggest, minor edits/changes to your collection before publication.
- The published author will receive 10 complimentary copies and a royalty payment of 25% of each collection sold.
- Any submissions that don’t adhere to the guidelines will be declined automatically. (We all make mistakes so if you notice something after submitting, let us know. If the issue isn’t addressed before the close of submissions, then the collection will be declined unread.)
To ensure the long-term future of the print side of Ellipsis, we have revised how we take work for our publications. To submit work to this competition, you can do one of the following:
- Submit and pay for a digital copy of the winning collection in advance. Cost: £3.00
- Submit and pay for a print copy of the winning collection in advance. Cost: £6.50
- Sponsor an author on low income and allow them to submit and receive a digital or print copy of the publication. Cost: £3.00 or £6.50
- We have five free places for authors on a low income. If you would like to take up one of these, please get in touch and then note this in your submission email.
Anyone with a current subscription can submit work free of charge and will receive their digital/print issue as normal.
Please make payments via the ‘Support’ link below and add a note. For example: FC digital copy / FC print copy. Please also include your email/postal address.