Please take a moment to read through the guidelines set out below before submitting, they have changed slightly from previous issues – the word count has increased and we will only accept one sub per author for this issue. Thank You.
Think, Tales of the Unexpected, The Twilight Zone or Black Mirror and submit no more than 800 ‘creepy and unsettling’ words. We don’t want straight out horror and gore (although a splattering of blood here or there is to be expected), we want to feel uneasy. Send us ghosts stories or the tall tales recited in smoky taverns. Reveal what really lives under the bed, in the cellar or in the attic. Scare the bejesus out of us so that we have to keep the lights on when we go to sleep.
Submissions open 26 July 2018 and close Midnight (GMT) 6 September 2018. The list of work selected for publication will be released 20 September 2018 and published on this page.
‘Four’ is the working title of this issue. The published title will be revealed, along with the author list, on 20 September.
This issue will be blind-read by Jennifer Harvey, @JenAnneHarvey.
What and how to submit
- Email submissions to: EllipsisZineSubs@gmail.com and format the subject line of your email with ‘ Four’, the type of submission and then the title of your work, eg. Four – My Story Title.
- Paste all submissions into the body of an email. Please don’t include any attachments.
- The word limit is 800, excluding the title, although we’ll overlook a handful of words if you really can’t trim them out.
- Submit only one piece for consideration.
- Submissions are open to anyone, whether previously published or not.
- You don’t need a covering letter but if there is anything relevant about you to the story, then please add a few lines.
- Submissions are independent to the website and so authors do not need to wait the usual month before re-submitting work.
- Unfortunately we can no longer accept simultaneous submissions for any printed publications.
- All submissions must be previously unpublished online or in print.
- No racism, sexism, homophobia or religious hatred, and only include sex if it is relevant to the story.
- Please only submit your own work.
- As part of the selection process we may ask for minor edits or changes to your piece.
- All published authors are entitled to a free copy, a discount of issues and a share in the royalties. See our royalties page for more details.
Image: Peter Forster